Are you looking for a great trail that’s not too difficult but still beautiful? Well, then Discovery Lake and Hills Loop are the trails for you! Here’s all you need to know about this treasure.
Discovery Lake and Hills Loop is a 0.8 mile frequently frequented loop route near San Marcos, California, with a lake suitable for hikers of all ability levels. The trail is open all year and is famous for strolling, jogging, bird viewing, and road riding. Dogs can use this route as well, but they must be kept on a leash. Learn more
This is a beautiful area for a brief walk or jog. It’s a terrific area to take the family, with several loop possibilities around a lake. There are gravel and asphalt trails that run parallel to one other.
There are two designated accessible spaces in the paved parking area off Buckhorn Avenue near the trail’s northwest terminus. Both are van-accessible, with striped access aisles. The path surface is covered with asphalt or concrete and is smooth. It is usually at least 6 feet broad.
The entire path is believed to be generally soft (5 percent or less) in grade. Most wheelchairs, mobility equipment, and stroller users will be able to navigate this course. There are benches for resting along the way.
Rules for Discovery Lake and Stream
- Swimming and wading are not permitted.
- Fishing is only permitted from the coastline or the dock.
- The City suggests using barbless hooks for catch and releases fishing.
- Everyone above the age of 16 is required to hold a fishing license.
- Boats, inflatables, and rafts are not permitted.
- No gas-powered model boats or airplanes (tethered or remote-controlled) are permitted in any public park unless specifically authorized by the Parks & Recreation Commission as part of a park ordinance or by special permit.
The Discovery Lake and Hills Loop trail is a beautiful trail that takes you through thick foliage and hills of logs. This trail is 0.8 miles which makes it relatively short but, at the same time, delightful to walk on. The walls along the side of the trail are made out of locally cut trees, which adds a lovely ambiance to the whole experience.
If you ever find yourself in the San Marcos area of California, then be sure to check out this excellent trail that meanders by Discovery Lake and includes some super interesting hills of logs. For additional information, visit 650 Foxhall Dr, San Marcos, CA 92078, or contact (760) 744-9000 ext. 3500.