Located at 1270 Vale Terrace Dr, Vista, CA 92084, the Alta Vista Botanical Gardens are a lush green space comprising several distinct cultivated areas. Alta Vista Botanical Gardens (AVBG), founded in 1999, is housed within the ancient Smitgen property, which previously comprised a 16-acre location in the center of Vista’s Brengle Terrace Park. The site was bought by the City of Vista in 1990 and was part of the master plan prepared in 1970. Dr. M.E. Darian, Rocco Valluzzi, Larry Hoekstra, JoAnn Hoekstra, and Joe Lentz formed the nonprofit Vista Botanical Garden Foundation in May 1999 with private donations. The City of Vista signed a 99-year lease and paid $50,000 to the Vista Botanical Forest (original name of AVBG) as a gracious gesture of support.
Dr. Darian and the majority of the board of trustees resigned in July 2003. A new group of volunteers stepped up to create a committee under the direction of Jim Porter, the director of Vista Parks and Recreation. For many months, the new board developed a new mission statement and vision for AVBG.
The Alta Vista Botanical Gardens are natural landscapes with collections of plants native to many parts of the world. They are intended to educate as well as inspire visitors.
Alta Vista Botanical Gardens is home to a diverse array of gorgeous and unique plant species worldwide. In addition, the Gardens are packed with works by some of the area’s most accomplished artists, ranging from sculptures to garden art to walkways, seats, and walls. Call (760) 945-3954 to know more about this.
The Alta Vista Botanical Gardens’ Children’s Garden welcomes children of all ages to discover the wonders of plant life, enjoy whimsical art and music, and explore an interactive environment. More about Vista
Alta Vista Botanical Gardens’ exquisite gardens gained a Healing Gardens Oasis in 2021. The Healing Gardens Oasis is located in the lowest portion of the garden in a beautiful shaded region. This section contains twelve wonderfully created gardens centered on the themes of growth, wellness, and pleasure.
All visitors are obliged to respect the Garden’s rules, which are as follows:
- Please respect the Botanical Garden and treat it as you would your own home.
- Trash cans are strategically placed throughout the Garden for your convenience. Please dispose of all rubbish in the supplied containers.
- At all times, children must be accompanied by an adult chaperone.
- Keep to the routes.
- Rollerblading, skating, and skateboarding are not authorized.
- Cars are only permitted in defined zones.
- There will be no climbing on trees or buildings.
- Picnic only on the lawn, tables, and seats.
- No smoking and no open fires.
- It is completely prohibited to take plants or plant components from the Garden. Please do not pluck flowers, fruits, nuts, or seeds so that everyone can enjoy them.
- Please don’t bother the wildlife.
The Botanical Garden is open every MONDAY-FRIDAY 8:00 AM- 4:30 PM and SATURDAY & SUNDAY -10:00 AM- 4:30 PM. Suppose you love exploring the outdoors and appreciate the beauty of nature. In that case, the Alta Vista Botanical Gardens is an excellent place to visit in Vista.