When the weather gets hotter and there are fewer natural resources, ants often leave a trail that goes to their homes. So, stopping ants should be a top priority. Vista Pest Control can help you with this. They are experts at getting rid of pests, mosquitoes, termites, and taking care of the grounds.
What draws ants into your house when they seem to be happy outside, moving around on your porch or along the sidewalk? Food is the simple answer.
The Argentine ant is the most common type of ant in California. It has very large colonies and hunts for food in a very violent way. Pavement, odd house, and pharaoh ants are some of the most annoying ants in the state.
For your ant problem to be solved, you need to know what kind of ants you are dealing with. Each type may need a different way to get rid of them. Your Vista Pest Control expert could help you come to a firm conclusion and then offer the best course of action.
How to Keep Ants Away & Get Rid of Them
The best way to keep ants from damaging your property is to get rid of the food they like and the places they can get in.
- Clean your house: Getting rid of food spills, crumbs, and other things that ants can eat on a regular basis. Pay close attention to the surfaces in the kitchen, at the table, and anywhere else food is made or eaten. Ants like sweet things, so they are drawn to kitchens, pantries, cabinets, and both indoor and outdoor dining places.
- Properly store food: The right way to store food is in cases with tight lids. This includes pet food. Since ants can easily get into open food packages, putting food in containers that can’t be opened will help stop outbreaks.
- Seal areas where ants could get in: Look around your home for cracks, holes, or other places where ants could get in. Seal these holes with weather stripping or glue to keep people out.
- Remove places where ants could live: Ants usually build their nests outside in places like firewood piles, tree stumps, and overgrown plants. You should get rid of or move these possible nesting spots far away from your house.
- Trim and prune your trees: Cut back trees, shrubs, and other plants that hang over your yard. Because ants might use these as bridges to get into your home, cutting them off will make it less likely that they will come.
- Reduce too much water: Get rid of any sources of standing water in your home, as these can attract certain types of ants. Fix any leaks or pipe problems so that water doesn’t build up. Ants are drawn to places that are moist, like crumbs, spills, dripping taps, and even shower and tub enclosures that haven’t been caulked properly.
- Clean your outdoor trash and recycling cans: If you don’t want to attract ants, make sure your outdoor trash cans are well covered and cleaned every so often.
If you think you have ants in your California home, call the reliable and friendly ant control expert. The pest control experts at Vista Pest Control appreciate your help in keeping pests out of your home and yard until the next time we talk.